A comprehensive study and certificate program on the wines of the Rhône Valley in an online webinar format!
Program starts January 24th, 2012. Registration is now open!
This is the Rhône Valley as you’ve never seen it presented! Fifteen live webinars conducted by experts in their field, preparatory online study modules, revised and enriched Rhône Master-Level manual, interactive Q&A with instructors, plus an opportunity to review course content in a live classroom environment with tutored tasting!
This is, in scope and design, the most comprehensive wine study program on Rhône Valley wines bar none. Through this program, students will acquire a profound knowledge of the region and develop a greater sensory understanding of its wines.
The Rhône Master-Level Program was developed by the French Wine Society in conjunction with lead instructor Roger Bohmrich, Master of Wine. It is endorsed by InterRhône.
Mastery is conferred to candidates who successfully finish the curriculum and pass the final exam.
Take 8 weeks and visit the Rhône Valley from the comfort of your own office or home computer.
Study with the masters, including:
- Roger Bohmrich, Master of Wine and lead instructor of the program
- Charles Curtis, Master of Wine
- David Glancy, Master Sommelier
- Catherine Fallis, Master Sommelier
Delve into the Rhône Valley with the insight of Rhône valley resident and sommelier Kelly McAuliffe.
Learn about the cultural history of the Rhône valley through the masterful story-telling of Paul Wagner, Balzac Communications.
Your moderator and program coordinator will be Lisa M. Airey, CWE, FWS, Education Director, French Wine Society.
Learn more: Instructor Bios.
Who should enroll?
Anyone who wishes to understand Rhône Valley wines from the ground up:
- Wine professionals
- Advanced Students of Wine
- Serious wine hobbyists
What are the prerequisites?
You will be provided with all the materials you need to enter the program from a position of strength:
- The French Wine Scholar Study Manual’s Rhône chapter
- Online access to the French Wine Scholar’s Rhône e-learning module and review quiz
What does the program include?
- Preparatory reading, e-learning module and quiz in advance of the core curriculum
- A comprehensive series of 15 live webinars
- Access to the video recording of the webinars for on-demand review
- Revised and enriched Rhône Master-Level Study Manual
- Three online review quizzes
- Instructor Q&A forum and student community forums
- Suggested reading list
- Exam registration (optional and additional)
- Note: Exam registration is optional and available for an additional fee.
Want to learn more? Download the list of the 15 thematic webinars with their detailed abstracts.
Why study online?
- E-learning is flexible and available “on demand”. Your programing is delivered to your computer at your convenience, regardless of traffic or weather.
- E-learning makes the world smaller! By going online, this program allows students to have access to a pool of talented educators from France and the USA.
- E-learning is accessible, convenient, and affordable. No traffic jams. No travel. No parking costs.
What about tasting?
The choice is yours: link up with fellow students at a participating FWS program provider for a day of review and tutored tasting or study and taste on your own.
What is the detailed curriculum?
To discover the detailed curriculum, click here.
What does the exam entail?
The exam is comprised of three separate sections: 50 multiple-choice questions, five short-answer questions and a map exercise. Passing score is 75/100.
In the spring of 2011, we conducted such a program on Bordeaux. See what participating students had to say about that program below.
Christopher Ruhland, FWS
It is comprehensive, well-structured, and very effective at explaining Bordeaux's wines. The video lectures by Dewey Markham are the very best online wine presentations I have seen.
Charles Warner, FWS, CWE, CSS, CS
This course continues the high standards of the French Wine Scholar Program with excellent study materials and fantastic additional videos and webinars. I highly recommend this course for anyone interested in learning more about wine in general and Bordeaux in particular.
Kyle Whitney, FWS
I loved the course. I was truly a joy to participate. You and Lisa did a fantastic job putting it all together. Dewey is a terrific teacher, and the other “color” sessions supplemented the main classes perfectly.rn rnI had to really watch the Webinar’s twice. Once as sort of an overview, and possibly ask questions, and second time to take notes. It was great to be able to stop and back up the lecture to make sure the notes are correct. You can’t do that in college.
I have learned so much and enjoyed the well written material as well as the professional webinars. Our proctor here in the northeast (Jo Ann Ross) has been spectacular and very helpful. I look forward to taking the next course.
Rosalind Angoff, FWS
Thanks for all you are doing to get this Bordeaux Masters Program up to such a professional level. I have enjoyed each of the lectures and loved the guest lecturers and the context that each of them added. I know it took a ton of work to coordinate and it is greatly appreciated.
Share this on: