Become a recognized specialist in the French wine region(s) of your choice!
The French Wine Society's Master-Level program is a U.S. wine industry-endorsed and French Regional Wine Councils-endorsed wine study program for trade and for advanced students of wine. Candidates can earn Master-Level Certificates for accruing expertise in each of the wine regions of France.
Self-Study with Study Manual:
Candidates can achieve mastery through self-study. A comprehensive study manual on each wine region of France will provide all the information needed to pass the exam. The following study manuals are currently available:
- Alsace Master-Level Program
- Bordeaux Master-Level Program
- Burgundy Master-Level Program
- Languedoc-Roussillon Master-Level Program
- Rhône Master-Level Program
- Provence Master-Level Program
Online Master-Level Study Programs:
The French Wine Society offers in-depth, live and/or on-demand online study programs at the Master-Level.
The programing includes:
- a comprehensive series of webinars led by one lead instructor
- Supplemental webinars presented by a panel of area experts
- online review quizzes
- an interactive student-teacher forum
- preparatory materials in advance of the start of the actual programming
- study materials and/or a study manual for the program itself.
French Wine Immersion Study Trips:
For the complete immersion experience, add a trip to France to the Master-Level self-study or online study programs. Spend a week visiting vineyards and wineries, tasting wine and savoring regional cusine under the tutelage and direction of a Master-Level instructor. Current French Wine Immersion programs include Bordeaux, Champagne, Rhône, Burgundy, Langeudoc-Roussillon, Alsace and Provence.
Learn more about our French Wine Immersion Study Trips
Review & Tutored Tasting Sessions:
Following the close of our Online Master-Level study programs, our partnering schools and educators will offer optional "Review and Tutored Tasting" sessions and proctor the exam.
About the Master-Level exam:
The exam is comprised of three separate sections: 50 multiple-choice questions, four or five short-answer questions and a map exercise. Passing score is 75/100.
The Master-Level exams are now available:
At participating program providers
- Online (Note: candidates must have a webcam and microphone; an additional $50 fee applies, due to individual proctoring)
Share this on: